Bradford E. Mattes is a partner and has been with the firm since 1991. He concentrates his practice on litigation and trials involving patents, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, and unfair competition. He also represents clients in applying for patents, applying to register trademarks and trade dress, and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to cancel or oppose registration of a trademark or trade dress.
In 2018, Mr. Mattes served as lead counsel for defendant ETS Express in a jury trial in the Southern District of New York (Manhattan). Plaintiff S’well Bottle alleged trade dress infringement and unfair competition regarding the overall shape of its bottle and sought damages exceeding $83 million. The trade dress of both parties’ bottles was admittedly identical and S’well Bottle had obtained a registration for its trade dress in the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Nevertheless, after seven days of trial, the jury deliberated less than four hours before delivering a unanimous defense verdict. The verdict was upheld following post-trial motions.
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, California
- J.D., Juris Doctor
- University of Houston
- B.S.M.E., Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- State Bar of California
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit